Monday, March 15, 2010

Nappy or Straight -- Does It Really Matter, Part 2

Black education in this Western society more about denying our natural hair than focusing on why the creator gave us this hair. No one will ever know for sure why we have this kind of spirally, springy hair, but let's consider the question.

First of all, let me admit that I cut off my permanent, chemically treated hair in 1990 and I haven't looked back. I love my nature hair, especially running my hands through it. One of the books that really helped me to appreciate my hair was Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves When the Chemicals Became Too Ruff by Brittenum Bonner. If you are on the brink of deciding to go natural, this book will help you to erase your fears.

Okay, enough said.

DNA One day, before I locked my hair, I had it braided -- just small braids hanging down. I had had it that way for about a month and was considering redoing it when, one braid passed by my eye and I saw the sunlight pass through the braid. Immediately, the shape of the braid reminded me of the shape of DNA.

I said to myself, "Whoa!" So I stared at the braid again through the sunlight. There was no mistake. Our natural hair has the spiral and shape of DNA. Not only this. The original form of DNA is in, you guessed it knots. Our nappy hair, especially the kitchen, is a fully blown representation of DNA. All right, all right. I get to thinking, black people are the only people on the planet to have this hair. Thanks to paleontologist, Louis B. Leakey, revealing what lost history has always known, we can say for sure that black people were the first humans. Get it? Our hated hair is a signature from the creator that we are the seed race. Slavery taught us to hate this hair and to believe that the creator made a mistake in giving it to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment