Saturday, June 26, 2010

Know Thyself -- "I Am"

I stumbled across this video in a social network that I belong to. I was so impressed with it that I wanted to post it here. For me, it expresses a reclamation of identity that I feel I am experiencing now -- that "I Am" feeling. The more I studied black history the angrier I grew as I began to understand the depths of what was stolen from us as a people. I got so angry that I became useless to myself and to everyone else. I couldn't begin to express why I was so angry. There were too many reasons mixed with too many emotions. When I heard this song and watched this video, I couldn't stop watching it. I felt a cleansing, a purging. He puts into expression the healing process that I am experiencing.

In the video, he acknowledges "the looks on their faces 'cause I took it this far." So much was taken from us that to claim our identity, we have to go back to the beginning of civilization, and really to the beginning of humanity. I'm very proud to feature this video on my blog, especially since the video is dedicated to one of the greatest African scholars of our time, Dr. Yosef ben-Jochannan.

I hope you enjoy it too.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment