Thursday, June 17, 2010

Know Thy Self through the Metu Neter

I love studying the Metu Neter by Ra UN Nefer Amen. This book is based upon the oldest religious text in the world -- that which comes from Egypt. The Metu Neter is designed to teach you how to "Know Thy Self" by guiding you toward aligning your ego with you true spiritual self and restoring you back to peace in all situations, no matter what.

It's a lofty claim, I know, but I can't deny they miraculous achievements of the Egyptians nor their peaceful civilization which reigned for thousands of years. My knowledge of world history apart from the biases of European scholars gives me a perspective that allows me to look deeply into the teachings of the Metu Neter. Without this perspective I believe that I would say that this book is just a bunch of hooey.

As such, one of the teachings that is so difficult for me to learn is how to align all of my thoughts, feelings, and actions. Most people today will agree that will power alone is enough to bring about this alignment. I agree that this can work for moments, especially for athletes, one of which I am not; however, for me, it takes a lot more to bring about and sustain this alignment.

Just take my thoughts alone. Negative judgments of people and situations just pop into my head. "Why," I find myself asking sometimes, "does that dark chocolate-skinned sistah wear that blond wig and those blue contact lenses?" or "When will black people ever learn to work together?" I think of a question like these and then my thoughts build scenarios around the subject. None of it is productive and worse, the thought process brings down my energy level -- energy which could have been used to do something more productive like helping me fulfill the purpose for which I am on earth.

The remedy I am using for this is meditation -- reprogramming myself to change my perspective toward becoming a loving person. I have discovered that some people, like my Aunt Pollyanna, are intrinsically loving. They can't help it. Love just oozes out of them. You see that -- how I prefer to say "oozes" instead of "flows"? The loving part of me has been dormant for most of my life, but I have hope. Since I've been on this journey of learning who I am, I can feel the love in me waking up, wanting to be expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment